Grizzlies fall to Storm in state tourney heartbreaker | Boys basketball

Skyview rallies with late basket to defeat Glacier Peak 68-67
By David Pan | Mar 02, 2018
Photo by: David R Pan Glacier Peak’s Evan Mannes (24) is guarded by Skyview’s Cole Grossman during a 4A state tournament game Wednesday, Feb. 28, in the Tacoma Dome.

Glacier Peak was seconds away from victory at the 4A state boys basketball tournament.

The Grizzlies held a 67-66 lead over Skyview and the Storm had just missed a shot with six seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Unfortunately for Glacier Peak, the ball bounced to Skyview’s Samaad Hector, who tipped the ball into the hoop for a game-winning putback basket that lifted the Storm to a 68-67 victory and broke the hearts of the Grizzlies at the Hardwood Classic Wednesday, Feb. 28, in the Tacoma Dome.

Glacier Peak immediately called a timeout with 5.1 seconds left in the game, but the Grizzlies weren’t able to advance the ball far up the court. A desperation shot from midcourt fell short and Skyview then ran out the clock, which had .9 seconds remaining.

Grizzlies coach Brian Hunter wasn’t sure if there was a tougher way to end the season.

“Our kids battled, played great basketball, made plays,” he said. “Skyview made a great play at the end, a putback. … It’s super hard. It’s about as hard as you can get.”

The back-and-forth game saw eight lead changes and was tied 10 times. Glacier Peak shot 51 percent (26 of 51) from the field and made 46 percent (11 of 24) of its 3-point shots. Skyview connected on 51 percent (27 of 53) of its field goals and shot 53 percent (10 of 19) from 3-point land. Both teams made only four free throws, though the Grizzlies were 4 of 5, while the Storm made 4 of 10.

“That was the best basketball team we’ve played this year I think,” Hunter said. “They’ve got kids that can shoot. … They hit timely shots.”

Skyview took a 50-48 lead into the final period and then stretched it to 53-48 early in the fourth quarter when Sean Boss hit a 3-pointer.

It didn’t take long for Glacier Peak to erase the lead as junior Evan Mannes scored a putback basket and senior Bobby Martin sank a 3-pointer to tie the score at 53. Tied at 59, the two teams traded 3-point shots before Martin drove to the hoop for a basket and followed with a 3-pointer to give the Grizzlies a 67-62 lead with 1:20 left in the contest. Martin’s 3-point shot turned out to be Glacier Peak’s final points of the night.

Hector scored to cut the Grizzlies’ lead to 67-64 with 1:01 left and Alex Schumacher followed with a layup to cut the deficit to 67-66 with 25.2 seconds. The Storm, under the foul limit, had to foul twice before a third foul sent Glacier Peak to the line with a one-and-one free throw opportunity. The Grizzlies missed the first free throw and Skyview rebounded the ball, quickly moving the ball up the court for the eventual winning basket.

Martin finished with a game-high 24 points and Evan Mannes, who Hunter noted was playing on one good ankle, scored 18 points and had 12 rebounds. Mannes left last week’s state regional playoff game with a badly sprained ankle. Sophomore Brayden Corwin had 12 points and made 4 of 9 3-point shots.

“The kids stepped up on a big stage,” Hunter said. “You get shots down here you have a chance. It’s easier said than done. It was just a well-played basketball game.”

Hunter praised the play and leadership from the team’s four seniors – Martin, Trey Lawrence, Bo Burns and Tony Collins.

“They’re great kids, great teammates,” Hunter said. “They left the program better than when they came into it. … They represented the school well, the community well. They played so hard.”


MARTIN SCORES GAME-WINNER: Senior Bobby Martin drove to the hoop and sank the game-winning shot with 4.3 seconds left to lift Glacier Peak to a 50-49 victory over Skyline in a loser-out 4A state regional boys basketball playoff game Saturday, Feb. 24, at Jackson High School.

Glacier Peak called a timeout with 9.9 seconds and drew up a play for Martin. “I wasn’t making that many shots. I wasn’t making that many 3s,” Martin said.

The play was designed for him to drive to the rim. “I drove and I stopped. I shot it and it went in,” Martin said.

The Spartans had a couple of shots to win in the final seconds, but the Grizzly defense prevailed. On Skyline’s second-to-last offensive possession, Martin and junior Noah Forman each blocked a shot to deny their opponents the lead.

“Our kids played good defense,” Glacier Peak coach Brian Hunter said. “Every possession was a battle.”

Hunter said there was no doubt which player he was going to trust with the Grizzlies’ last offensive possession – Martin

“I said, ‘You’ve got one more in you,’” Hunter recalled. “He’s the best player on the floor and you give the best player on the floor the ball when you need a basket and he made an unbelievable play. He’s a winner.”

Martin scored a game-high 25 points and junior Evan Mannes added 16 points.

Glacier Peak overcame a tough start to the contest. The Grizzlies did not make a field goal in the first quarter but only trailed 6-4 thanks to four free throws.

“That’s a credit to our defense,” Hunter said. “That’s a credit to their defense. I’m not surprised.”

Both teams regrouped in the second quarter and Glacier Peak outscored Skyline 22-14 to head into halftime with a 26-20 advantage.

“It just came to us after the first quarter,” Martin said.

The Grizzlies advanced to the state regional tournament by defeating Jackson 54-43 in a winner-to-state regionals/loser-out game Saturday, Feb. 17, at Everett Community College. Martin scored 17 points and senior Trey Lawrence added 16 points.

Glacier Peak fell to Kamiak 72-56 in the district championship game Thursday, Feb. 15, at Everett Community College. Martin scored 18 points, Mannes finished with 13 points and Lawrence had 10 points.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.