Mustangs stun Wolfpack in marathon shootout | Girls soccer

Jackson loses Wes-King District playoff contest, outshot 13-12 in PKs
By David Pan | Nov 02, 2018
Photo by: David R Pan Jackson’s Madilyn Rude settles the ball against Redmond Tuesday, Oct. 30, at Everett Stadium.

It was the game that would not end.

Jackson was leading 1-0 and appeared to be on its way to a victory and a state berth when Redmond tied the score with a goal in the 72nd minute.

Neither team could muster another score in the final eight minutes of regulation or in the two five-minute overtime periods.

That’s when the fun began.

The two teams were tied at 1 after the first two rounds of the shootout. Then each team’s shooter started making goal after goal after goal.

After 12 rounds of penalty kicks, the Timberwolves and Mustangs remained deadlocked. Redmond again converted to start the 13th round and then the Mustang goalkeeper launched herself to her left and knocked down Jackson’s shot attempt to secure a 2-1 victory in a winner-to-state Wes-King 4A District girls soccer tournament game Tuesday, Oct. 30 at Everett Memorial.

The loss was the first of the season for the Timberwolves (15-1-1 overall), who face North Creek in winner-to-state district tournament game on Thursday, Nov. 1, after the Beacon’s deadlines.

“It’s a disappointing end, but that’s OK,” Jackson coach Sarah Smart said. “If there was a time to lose, it was right now because everything else is elimination. We definitely got losing out of the way.”

Jackson dictated much of the action in both halves and took 1-0 lead on a goal by junior Kathryn Cheng in the 59th minute. The Timberwolves also had early opportunities at the start of both the first and second half of play.

“They played really hard. We applied a ton of pressure,” Smart said. “They withstood that pressure and scored on the opportunity that they got. Overall we dominated this game and we had a lot of really good chances. We almost scored on them in the first minute. If you make those chances, it’s a different game. If you don’t, you have this happen. If you don’t finish chances, you have, you don’t win.”

Smart praised play of senior Brooke Vandermolden, who took over at goalkeeper midway through the season.

“She made a great save in the PKs,” Smart said. “She continues to do really well.”

Jackson closed out the regular season with a 3-0 victory over Lake Stevens to claim its sixth straight league championship. Gabriela Franco, Keile Hansen and Cheng all scored goals. Vandermolen recorded the save.


WILDCATS STILL ALIVE, GLACIER PEAK OUT: Archbishop Murphy opened with a 3-1 victory over Burlington-Edison in 2A District tournament play Thursday, Oct. 25, but then dropped a 3-2 decision to Sehome in a winner-to-state game Tuesday, Oct. 30. The Wildcats can still earn a berth to state. Archbishop Murphy takes on Bellingham in a winner-to-state/loser-out game at 1 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 3, at Sedro-Woolley High School.

Glacier Peak’s season came to an end with a 2-1 loss to Eastlake on Saturday, Oct. 27, at Glacier Peak High School. The Grizzlies finished the season 8-8-1 overall.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.