School district sells naming rights to Memorial Stadium

Funko Field will remain home to the AquaSox, high school and college athletics
Apr 19, 2019

Fans who attend high school and college baseball games at Memorial Stadium next year will be greeted by a 15-foot-high figurine in right field as part of the agreement to sell the naming rights for the field to the Everett-based company Funko.

The local maker of bobbleheads and memorabilia agreed to pay the district $1.1 million over eight years as the first business to have its name associated with the 72-year-old ballfield. According to the contract signed in March, the last three years of the agreement are optional.

The district will net 25 percent of the funds, with the remaining 75 percent going to the minor league baseball team. The new name applies only to the actual field. A spokesperson confirmed the district would retain the name Memorial Stadium for the sports complex along Broadway adjacent to the district administrative offices.

"The ability for the AquaSox to sell the naming rights for Memorial Stadium baseball field has been part of the sustainability plan from the beginning,” said EPS Superintendent Dr. Gary Cohn. “The maintenance of the baseball field doesn't come out of the district's operating budget, nor do we ask for bond dollars.

“It was intended that the naming would produce revenue that would be able to maintain the field well into the future,” Cohn said. “The agreement is a win-win for everyone involved.”

Funko branding will be added to the field, the outfield wall and the video scoreboard as part of the arrangement.  CEO Brian Mariotti said there would be plenty of merchandise giveaways during the seven Funko Fridays scheduled next season.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.